There are significant challenges and specific requirements with respect to lighting warehouse and distribution centres.
Quality lighting in a warehouse aisle for normal ambient, cold rooms and freezers requires careful evaluation of the following:
- Selection of the most suitable light fitting for mounting heights as low as 4m and as high as 12m.
- Control of glare from powerful and bright light sources to prevent impaired vision to operators and forklift drivers.
- Illumination levels as low as 80 lux and as high as 400 lux. In addition to the horizontal light level often a vertical light level must be achieved on a storage rack. The Australian Standards for illumination must be carefully considered for these applications.
- Horizontal light uniformity of a minimum of 0.5 is required. Light uniformity vertically is also very important to minimise what is commonly tittle “scalloping” which is the dark “V” shape concentrated light on the top half of racks. Correct light fitting selection is vital to reduce this common problem. In some designs a compromise is necessary between energy savings, using very narrow light distribution and using more fittings with slightly wider light distribution into the racks to overcome this requirement.
- Light distribution should also light into racks as stock is removed. This allows forklift operators to see the stock inside the rack behind the first row. This important element is sometimes overlooked at the design phase.
- Temperature conditions on sites in Australia can range from 0˚C through to +55˚C in the upper ceiling cavity. High and Low ambient temperature ratings for the light fitting and control gear is essential.
- Long life of light sources and control gear to reduce maintenance.
- Correct LED selection of CT (colour temperature) and CRI (colour rendering index)
- Selection of energy saving options such as microwave movement sensors and switching dimming sequences for daylight harvesting.
- Emergency lighting systems for the safe evacuation of the building.
For a cost and obligation free evaluation of your general and emergency lighting applications please contact the STURDY LIGHT sales office at firstname.lastname@example.org